Group Long-Term Disability Plus Insurance
Unlike other disability insurance, our Long-Term Disability Plus insurance has the added protection of the "Own Occupation" clause (member only) up to age 65. This allows you to collect benefits if you’re unable to perform your specific law specialty, even if you’re able to work in another occupation or specialty. It also automatically includes Presumptive Disability, which waives any waiting period in certain situations.
Key features and options:
- Available for Bar Association Members1 and Spouses/Domestic Partners under age 65 residing in the U.S. and Puerto Rico and who are working full-time. (Not available for residents of NH, NV, OH, or VT. )
- Coverage amounts through $12,000 a month for members and through$5,000 a month for Spouses/Domestic Partners.
- Choice of waiting periods helps reduce premiums.
- Your coverage is renewable as long as you remain an active Bar Association Members, stay employed full-time, you are under age 75.
- "Own Occupation" (for members only) allows you to collect benefits if you’re unable to perform your specific specialty of law up to age 65, even if you’re able to work in another occupation or specialty.
- Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) option rider ensures your benefits keep pace with inflation.
- Law School Loan Payment option rider will pay up to $200,000 in eligible law school student loans. Members must be under age 40 to apply and must be permanently disabled prior to age 45.
- Catastrophic Disability option rider pays an additional 25% of benefit should you lose the ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Portable,2 so you can take your coverage with you through changes in your career.
- A no-cost benefit for up to one-month of benefits to an insured member to care for a close family member with a serious health condition.
For additional details including assignment of dividends, features, costs, eligibility, renewability, exclusions and limitations, refer to the Long-Term Disability Plus Brochure.
Estimate your rate two ways:
Talk with an Insurance Plan Specialist.
Your generosity made over $7.6 million in grants possible for 2022.
1The terms "BarAssociation Member" and Member when used in this website mean a practicing lawyer who is a member of the American Bar Association (ABA) or any entitv that is represented in the ABA's House of Delegates, including state and many local and specialty bar association. A list of all such entities is available at https://abendowment.org/resource.
2Subject to U.S. government regulations on restricted countries.
About the Carrier
Underwritten by New York Life Insurance Company, 51 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10010 under Group Policy G-29900-0 on Policy Form GMR.
New York Life is licensed/authorized to transact business in all of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and Canada. However, not all group policies it underwrites are available in all jurisdictions. New York Life's state of domicile is New York and NAIC ID # 66915.
Bonnie Czarny (ABE), is licensed in AR, Insurance License #404091 and CA, Insurance License # 0H99426.
All ABE-sponsored insurance is designed to generate dividends; however dividends are not guaranteed. For more information, visit our Dividend Notice page.
You may also be interested in:
Call 1-800-621-8981 to speak with an ABE Insurance Plan Specialist.
"Most of us are aware of the need for life insurance, but don’t know the security that comes with having disability insurance. You never think about it when you are young and fit – maybe until it is too late. It is a risk you don’t want to take. ABE insurance products protect me and my family."
The experience of the people described in this material may not be representative of the experiences of other members.